[HECnet] Quiet list and a question about setting up a system

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jun 25 16:04:14 PDT 2008

Andrew Back wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Andrew Back wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Johnny Billquist wrote:

<<SNIP>>

Yes, phase V should probably work in most cases. What you need to be aware of is that the DECnet routing license isn't included in the VMS hobbyist program, so unless you have some other license for that part, you will not be able to actually do this. Also, area routing is only supported on OpenVMS/VAX. No Alpha support. And finally, I'm not sure if phase V can do routing. It might be that you need phase IV for that part, but this is something others will have to verify.

Oh :o( Having seen DVNETEXT in the PAKs I was thinking this is routing when of course it is DVNETRTG. Now I need to find a machine with DVNETRTG... I *really* wanted to play with Phase V routing also. In the meantime what are my other options for Phase IV routing? I'm guessing your bridge software plus an emulated system running software with routing else a hardware router of some description.

With my bridge program, you don't need to have any routing nodes at all.
Well, yes, but I like the idea of operating an area and playing with routing. You know, adding complexity for fun.

Feel free. :-)
Just let me know when you want to take care of the details.