[HECnet] Quiet list and a question about setting up a system

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Jun 24 17:39:07 PDT 2008

Mike Shields wrote:
Well, since the long period of nothing has been broken, I guess I'll take the opportunity to ride along on the burst. I've got a KLH10 TOPS-20 system up on my local network, (Panda distribution) and have several machines that could serve as a router.

Fun. Not that many T20 machines on the net so far. Bring 'em on! :-)

I'm not sure how much traffic gets routed, but I've got a decent amount of bandwidth available as well.

As an endnode, you don't see that much traffic. Mostly the hello broadcasts that occur regularly.

So how do I get started with the node numbers and what-not?

Just talk to me and tell me what you want/need.

In short you need to allocate a node number. For that you first need to figure out in which area you'll live, and then talk with the person responsible for that area. If nothing else, I can put you in area 1, which I handle.
A node name is nice to allocate globally, although not technically required. I try to keep an up-to-date list here.
You also need to figure out where to connect to, "physically". That is, which remote machine will you talk to, and using which protocol.
There are several options. Most people either use a VMS machine as a router, and go through an IP-tunneled connection handled by VMS, or they use my bridge program, which acts just like any bridge.