[HECnet] Quiet list and a question about setting up a system

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Jun 24 17:34:06 PDT 2008

Gregg Levine wrote:
Hello!
Is it me, or is this list suddenly acting like a night out in the
country? (Hint, I hear crickets, and I've not seen a post in months.)

As others noted, this list is bursty. :-)

Okay now the Question: How would I go about configuring a PDP-11 (SimH
or E11) to talk to the HECNET? And which OS is prefrered?

The answer to your first question depends on the answer to the second one, I'd say. :-)
But ethernet is a good start, along with a copy of my bridge program running on some machine, unless you also have some VMS system running as a router on the same ethernet segment.

I do not have a router or Cisco designed gizmo who's stable enough to
support the protocols that we are discussing here, however.

That leaves you just with my bridge program then, I guess.