[HECnet] Adding my node

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Mar 31 10:58:09 PDT 2008

Bob Armstrong wrote:
I am willing to switch to Multinet, I'd just like to know why I
should.
  Well, it can do the DECnet over IP tunneling without any additional machines or software.

Using DECnet over TCP/IP instead of my bridge also reduces the bandwith you need.
DECnet isn't extremely bandwith hungry, but doing a bridge means that all broadcasts from all nodes needs to get everywhere. And as the bridged net (and machines on that net) grows, so does the broadcasts...

And all direct traffic between nodes at this moment passes though the same needle eye, which is my bridge, since noone else is acting as a relay between segments...

There probably is an upper limit to what is realistic to bridge together. After that we need to split the bridging up into two (or more) separate ethernet segments.