[HECnet] Adding my node

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Mar 31 10:53:51 PDT 2008

John Floren wrote:
On 3/30/08, Bob Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:
Wouldn't it be best to have someone geographically closer for reasons of latency?

  I don't think it really matters much anymore and besides, it's not as if HECnet is a high bandwidth application :-)

>I'll be using Johnny's tunnel program.

  Then I think you're going to have to connect to his server, regardless of geography.

Ok, then I guess I may end up using one of Johnny's machines after all.

I don't have a big problem with that. It's just a latency issue (as you noted elsewhere).

> open ports on the LAN, something I can't easily do.

  AFAIK, you'll have to open ports in either case.   Multinet uses UDP port 700; I don't know about Johnny's program.

If it's an outbound port, there's no problem; we're talking about your
typical Linksys wireless router sitting on a cable modem. If I need to
open an inbound port, which wouldn't surprise me, I'll talk to the
landlady... she'll probably approve, she knows I work in computing and
for some reason that makes people assume I know what I'm doing ;)

:-)
Yes, you need to open up, and forward packets to/from a specific UDP port through your firewall. Not that magical...

>LOKI:: Alphastation 250 4/266 running OpenVMS 8.3
>FAFNIR:: VAXstation 4000-60 running OpenVMS 7.3

  Do you already have TCP/IP on either of these machines?   What/which one are you using?

I have UCX on both of them; I use LOKI by far the most.
Quick question--LOKI already has DECnet-Plus installed, that will work
for HECnet, right? As I understand it, DECnet-Plus is backwards
compatible with Phase IV?

It should work fine. I have backed down to plain DECnet on my VMS machines, since DECnet+ just confuse me anyway. Plain DECnet just seems easier to work with. :-)