[HECnet] Adding my node

John Floren slawmaster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 01:55:35 PDT 2008

On 3/30/08, Bob Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:
Johnny Billquist wrote:

Obviously I can, but there might be people a bit closer than Uppsala, Sweden. :-)

John Floren skrev:
Hi everyone
I'm located in the San Francisco, CA area and would like to add my VMS
node to HECnet. I'm looking for someone relatively close that would be
willing to bridge DECnet to me and help walk me through setting up the
configuration on my end.
Thanks

  I don't think it matters so much where anybody lives, unless you need some "hands on" help of some kind.

  Your first step is to decide whether you want to connect to HECnet using Johnny's bridge program, which requires that you have a Un*x box to serve as the bridge host, or a Multinet style tunnel, which requires a VMS host to serve as the bridge.   Either form of connection can serve as a router for other DECnet nodes on your local network.

  I think the current Linux/DECnet implementation can also do Multinet compatible tunnels, but I can't promise it.   Christine would know the answer to that...

  The next question is how many nodes do you have and what are their names - the node addresses have to be assigned in keeping with the existing allocations, and the node names have to be unique.   There's a slightly out of date listing here -

              http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Downloads/DCN%20Node%20List.pdf

  FWIW, I live in Milpitas.

Bob

Wouldn't it be best to have someone geographically closer for reasons
of latency?
I'll be using Johnny's tunnel program. He has told me that my current
setup (LAN with a Linux laptop acting as a gateway to the house
wireless) should be just fine. I am a little concerned because my
laptop is on a private subnet; without looking at the bridge source, I
don't know if I'll have to open ports on the LAN, something I can't
easily do.
I have two systems; I am primarily interested in getting LOKI:: online
but since they're both on the same LAN it should be easy to do both.
LOKI:: Alphastation 250 4/266 running OpenVMS 8.3
FAFNIR:: VAXstation 4000-60 running OpenVMS 7.3

John
--
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn