[HECnet] Adding my node

Bob Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Mon Mar 31 02:29:27 PDT 2008

Wouldn't it be best to have someone geographically closer for reasons of latency?

  I don't think it really matters much anymore and besides, it's not as if HECnet is a high bandwidth application :-)

I'll be using Johnny's tunnel program.

  Then I think you're going to have to connect to his server, regardless of geography.

open ports on the LAN, something I can't easily do.

  AFAIK, you'll have to open ports in either case.   Multinet uses UDP port 700; I don't know about Johnny's program.

LOKI:: Alphastation 250 4/266 running OpenVMS 8.3
FAFNIR:: VAXstation 4000-60 running OpenVMS 7.3

  Do you already have TCP/IP on either of these machines?   What/which one are you using?

Bob