[HECnet] Zarqon down

Brett Bump bbump at rsts.org
Sun May 11 05:16:30 PDT 2008

On Sat, 10 May 2008, Zane H. Healy wrote:

At 1:00 PM +0100 5/10/08, Christine Caulfield wrote:
It's that time of year already !

It's too hot for me to run a VAX in my office at the moment so I've
shut zarqon down for a while, sorry.

Knowing the British weather, I'm sure it will cool down again and
I'll be able to power it back up fairly soon ;-)

Hi Chrissie,
I know how that goes.   I really wish I had a dedicated computer room
with air conditioning.   At some point PDXVAX will have to go down as
well.   In fact we're supposed to hit 88F next Friday, hopefully this
isn't a sign it will get hot early this year.   Of course recently we
had 75-80F one Saturday and snow the next.

Was your VAX routing any Multinet sites?   Bob seems to be down, so
I'm not bridging the two groups.

Zane

We had 85 about 3 weeks ago and then last week got 30" of snow that shut
down the interstate across the middle of the US.   Today was the LAST day
for my network admin class (thank God) and sad to say, the student I had
given the DECnet bridge project didn't come through so as I told Bob, I
will probably do that part myself this summer (hopefully get my net up).
The student I had given the MicroVax 3100 (network NetBSD install) still
wants to finish that project (maybe some knowledge will rub off on him).
At least we got home this week without running into any UFO's.   Believe
it or not, 2 weeks ago (driving in the snow) a pickup with a trampoline
strapped to their roof (with monster cable speaker wire), flew off their
roof an nailed the left side of the car we were driving home in.   Today
we were lucky.   We only got about 2" of snow and no UFO's coming back.
They say, "Trampoline's never strike the same place twice". ;-)

Brett

PS. Last weeks snow was gone in 2 days: http://www.rsts.org/~bbump/snow