[HECnet] NEWSRDR or other ...

Fred fcoffey at misernet.dyndns.org
Thu Nov 13 05:54:44 PST 2008

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, Zane H. Healy wrote:

Does anyone have experience with setting up NEWSRDR to authenticate to my ISP's mail server, or is there a client out there for OpenVMS that supports this?     This error message suggests that NEWSRDR does not.

I think you want to point it at your ISP's news server. :-)

Erm ...

The HECNet list is required to read my mind, didn't you know that? ;) ;)

That's what I get for sending out a message right before I turn in for the night ...

ISTR trying NEWSRDR about 10 years ago, but at that point my ISP didn't require a login for the news server (i.e. this was before they outsourced it).   No clue on if it supports authentication or not.

Gotcha.   It successfully connects, but gets confused when the news server wants authentication.   I may try to find a copy of ANU News and try that. I was browsing around on c.o.v and saw that someone was able to patch NEWSRDR to do authentication - I may mail that gentleman directly and see if I cold acquire a copy.

Cheers,

Fred