[HECnet] NEWSRDR or other ...

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Nov 12 20:25:14 PST 2008

At 8:29 PM -0500 11/12/08, Fred wrote:
Good evening:

I fetched NEWSRDR off of one of the Freeware distribution sites, and after configuring things, settings up logicals, etc ... an attempt to run NEWSRDR results in:

%NEWS-I-UPDATING, locating unread articles; please wait...
%NEWS-E-UNEXPRSP, unexpected response from server: "480 Authentication Required"

Does anyone have experience with setting up NEWSRDR to authenticate to my ISP's mail server, or is there a client out there for OpenVMS that supports this?     This error message suggests that NEWSRDR does not.

I think you want to point it at your ISP's news server. :-)

ISTR trying NEWSRDR about 10 years ago, but at that point my ISP didn't require a login for the news server (i.e. this was before they outsourced it).   No clue on if it supports authentication or not.

Zane

--
| Zane H. Healy                                       | UNIX Systems Administrator |
| healyzh at aracnet.com (primary)       | OpenVMS Enthusiast                 |