[HECnet] DECnet on KLH10

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Sep 12 22:22:01 PDT 2008

Mark Abene wrote:
Is anyone on here successfully using DECnet in TOPS-20 with the KLH10
emulator?   I'm using a dedicated bridged-tap interface in FreeBSD, and
DECnet is certainly enabled in TOPS-20, but there is absolutely no
DECnet traffic on the wire.   None can be seen with tcpdump.   I find this
very odd.   IP connectivity works fine, and I can see LAT traffic, but no
DECnet.   Any suggestions?

Well, I can only say that we have one KLH10 system (PAMINA::) running
here. Works fine. But it's running on a Linux box, and also have a
dedicated physical interface.

No ideas why it don't work for you.

	Johnny

Personally I've always recommended Linux/x86 and a dedicated interface for
KLH10.   For SIMH I just run on whatever is handy, but I've never gotten
networking going with SIMH (I've used real PDP-11 hardware or E11 instead).

As I recall I've had DECnet running with TOPS-10 7.04 on KLH10, and TCP/IP
for TOPS-20.   At the time I was messing with it I wasn't really using
DECnet, just LAT and TCP/IP.   Plus I'm not sure, but I don't believe DECnet
was an option for TOPS-20 at that time.   LAT is real nice since if you have
a DECserver and terminals, you can easily use a real terminal with KLH10.

Zane

Zane