[HECnet] DECnet on KLH10

Mark Abene phiber at phiber.com
Fri Sep 12 21:45:54 PDT 2008

Mark Abene wrote:

I've actually made a new discovery... looking at "netstat -g", I'm
seeing that none of the multicast addresses exist that DECnet uses and
requires!   This would explain why I don't see any DECnet traffic at all.
I compiled KLH10's enaddr utility in an attempt to add the multicast
addresses manually, and I get failures for all attempts...
"SIOCADDMULTI failed - Can't assign requested address".   My server's
kernel wasn't built with multicast routing enabled, which is not a
default.   I'm wondering if this is the cause of the error.   I'm going to
do some further testing.

Regards
Mark

Well I was mistaken about the multicast routing, that's only for doing
DVMRP with mrouted (MBONE, etc).   Local LAN multicast should work "out
of the box" on FreeBSD.   Still trying to track down why this is failing,
since it's my primary candidate for DECnet not working...