[HECnet] Need help with DECnet routing

Kari Uusim ki uusimaki at exdecfinland.org
Mon Apr 6 17:23:11 PDT 2009

Marc Chametzky wrote:
I have my new system, LULU, up and it's connected via Ethernet on the same network segment as DUSTY. LULU is a non-routing end node.
DUSTY is "TYPE ROUTING IV" and has two circuits, TCP-0-0 to LEGATO and QNA-0 for the local network. DUSTY has connectivity to both LEGATO (and the rest of HECnet) and also to LULU.
LULU, on the other hand, can only connect to DUSTY. It can't connect to LEGATO.
I thought that DUSTY, being a routing node, would route packets between its two circuits, but that appears not to be the case. I tried setting DUSTY up as an area router, thinking that making it a level 2 router would permit LULU's packets to go through DUSTY, but that didn't seem to work either.
What should I do in order to get DUSTY to route the packets from LULU to the rest of HECnet?
--Marc
.

Have you checked that node DUSTY is sending its router hello packets on the Ethernet circuit?
Does node LULU receive the router hellos from node DUSTY?

What does node LULU indicate as the adjacency? It should be node DUSTY unless you have another Level 1 (with higher priority) or Level 2 router on the same circuit.