[HECnet] Downtime next week

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 07:20:08 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Sampsa Laine<sampsa at mac.com> wrote:
Guys,

I will most likely be experiencing some downtime next week due to an
upcoming house move, probably Thursday - Saturday.

This will mean that:

           - GORVAX will be down, so anyone routing MULTINET through it will be
down as well
           - CHIMPY will be down
           - The IP addresses used for GORVAX's MULTINET and my bridge to Johnny
MIGHT change - the ISP has not confirmed or denied this.

However, on the plus side, the new apartment will have dual 20 down/2.5 up
DSL links with a load balancing router.

In addition to this, I have had a 47U rack* installed into a spare room so I
will be able to bring some additional hardware online, including:

           - CHIMP. AlphaServer 4100, 2 CPUs with 2 GB of RAM and about 120 GBs
of disk
           - RHESUS. Itanium rx2600 with   dual 900 MHz CPUs and 8 GBs of RAM,
300 GB or so of disk.
           - MKYVAX. VAXstation 90A, not sure about the config got it off ebay
and haven't had time to fire it up
           - A DECserver 200 with various toys attached including some Amigas
and old CBM machines.

Accounts will be available on all of the above to anyone interested.

Sampsa

* I had this installed (along with 30+ cat6 points around the flat) in to a
flat in Zone 2 of Central London. My builders think I am insane and/or a mad
scientist of some kind.

Hello!
I am both relieved in thinking that I am not the only one on this list
to be considered like that, and jealous especially considering the
DECserver 200.

I've been trying to track down one of those beasts for a very long
while now. Practically the entire time period that I've known (in a
matter of speaking) all of you on this list, plus the few I know from
two other lists. (Three even.)

I hope your move goes well, and that there isn't any problem with
setting up everything all over again. And that nothing throws a simian
spanner into things as well.

And as for that terminal server, should you manage to find another
one, please see how much it weighs and how much it would cost to send
it to this side of the pond. (If I can find the room for it....)
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
"This signature was once found posting rude
messages in English in the Moscow Metro."