[HECnet] Zaphod down for a few days

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Wed Jul 1 22:57:06 PDT 2009

Bob,

To start off with, if you don't have time to help me with this, I totally understand and will stop bothering you.

I've just had an idea -

1. To send mail: All I will do on the VMS side is set up a FIDO% handler that simply writes the message it receives verbatim into a directory. I will then periodically poll this directory via FTP from my main Fido box, run some quick Python scripts to mangle it into Fidonet format and dump it into the appropriate place for my mailer etc to move it onwards.

2. To   receive mail: I will configure my mailer on the Fido box to mangle the message (using a Python script again) into something that is easy to import into VMS mail, upload it via FTP to the VMS box where a periodic script looks for these messages and inserts them into MAIL using the published routines that I found in help.

It's part 1 that I have no idea where to get started, as the documentation in HELP doesn't seem to offer any clues on how to build this library that ties into VMSMAIL. Any pointers / code would be tremendously gratefully received.

Sampsa