[HECnet] Boot VAX from Alpha host Infoserver?

gerry77 at mail.com gerry77 at mail.com
Tue Nov 24 01:44:51 PST 2009

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 19:32:28 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

%ISL-F-BADOPEN, unable to locate SYSBOOT
?06 HLT INST
    PC= 000067C4 PSL= 041F0000

So at this point it eliminates LDDRIVER being part of the problem.

I'm starting to think that either the host-based Infoserver does not support
VAX network installation or the service is somehow not properly configured.

Please, excuse me if I'll write obvious things, but...

The Infoserver help says that the volume to be served has to be mounted
/SYSTEM and either /NOWRITE or /FOREIGN, have you done that?

You can see the connected clients by useing the Infoserver management
command:

Infoserver> show last

This command does not work on my host-based Infoserver.

On the host-based thing you have to do something like (I suppose):

$ LASTCP == "$SYS$SYSTEM:ESS$LASTCP"
$ LASTCP SHOW CLIENTS

See also:

$ HELP @ESS$LASTCPHELP
$ HELP @ESS$INFOSERVER

Another option would be to turn MISER into a cluster (temporarily) and
satellite boot the VAX, but I'd want to take an /IMAGE backup of MISER
first as I don't want to wreck him ... I'd cry if I lost all of my
customizations ... :)

For this purpose you may also want to use a SIMH emulated VAX or create an
image of the installation CD-ROM volume into another hard disk and install
the latter into the target machine, then boot from it. :-)

HTH,
G.