[HECnet] Boot VAX from Alpha host Infoserver?

Fred fcoffey at thrifty.misernet.net
Mon Nov 23 16:32:28 PST 2009

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Kari Uusim  ki wrote:

Hi Kari, all ...

Here is the latest update:

Removed old broken CDROM from MISER, replaced with a known good one. Mounted VAX distribution in CDROM drive, created Infoserver service pointing to this physical drive.

MOP booted the VAX, looked for this service, tried to select this service ...

Still:

%ISL-F-BADOPEN, unable to locate SYSBOOT
?06 HLT INST
  PC= 000067C4 PSL= 041F0000

So at this point it eliminates LDDRIVER being part of the problem.

When you have selected the Infoserver service where you have the distribution, does is show up as a (LAST) connection on the Infoserver?

I do not believe so.   After selecting the service (it does find it if you make it look)

InfoServer> show sessions/ALL

VAXVMS073                       [ODS-2]                 _MISER$DKA100:

According to the doc, it should say [1 Connection] to the right of the device name.

Have you checked that the SYSBOOT.EXE is continuous?

It is on the CD - I am guessing this is moot now since I'm now using a physical CD being served by my Alpha.

You can see the connected clients by useing the Infoserver management
command:

Infoserver> show last

This command does not work on my host-based Infoserver.

Another option would be to turn MISER into a cluster (temporarily) and satellite boot the VAX, but I'd want to take an /IMAGE backup of MISER first as I don't want to wreck him ... I'd cry if I lost all of my customizations ... :)

Thanks,

Fred

----
Lets call it for what it is - "legacy" is a term that people use in a
polite but derogatory manner to imply that the future direction they
prefer is not that which they view as the current direction.