[HECnet] Alpha emulation?

Marc Chametzky marc at bluevine.net
Sun Nov 1 10:55:31 PST 2009

  I just "dd"ed mine to an ISO file.   No problems there.   If you have some
ftp site that I can upload it to, I can send you my .iso later tonight.

Thanks, that would be quite helpful. Can you sftp? If so, I'll send you a login you can use.

If my math is right, aa:00:04:00:11:08 works out to 2.17 (and that's the
right address).

It does look like Charon-AXP changed the hardware address of the interface correctly, then.

  # The trailing zone network interface
  auto eth1
  iface eth1 inet manual
  pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth1 hw ether aa:00:04:00:d5:08
  I'll give that a try next.   Question - is "auto eth1" the right thing to
do?   That makes the interface start up when the boot does an "ifup -a",
right?   I didn't do that (I figured Charon would start it when it got around
to it).

I'm far from an expert on Linux network interfaces. It doesn't seem to harm anything, and I do want the interface to be up for the emulated system.

Since Charon-AXP is expecting to have dedicated access to the interface, it may do a lot more configuration and management of the interface than I expect. I've been using this setup with SIMH VAX and PDP-11, and something similar for Panda (TOPS-20), so it's just a matter of course for me when I'm setting up an emulated system (that uses DECnet, anyway).

--Marc