[HECnet] Alpha emulation?

Oleg Safiullin form at pdp-11.org.ru
Fri Oct 30 12:45:19 PDT 2009

Bob Armstrong wrote:
  Thanks for all the feedback, guys.   I guess it'll be Charon-AXP NCE :-)
  Did any of you guys who are using that try running DECnet and/or
Multinet/UCX/etc on it?   I notice that the release notes say "WARNING:
Ethernet adapter, which is assigned to CHARON, must not be used by
third-party programs."   Does "third party programs" include the host Linux
OS and can I interpret that as meaning that you need a separate, dedicated,
Ethernet card for the Charon-AXP?   Everything else looks pretty
straightforward...
Thanks again,
Bob

I think the reason for using dedicated NIC is very simple: it's used in non-promiscuous mode and all the changes
to mac address/mcast filters made by guest system affect physical NIC and may conflict with host OS.