[HECnet] Alpha emulation?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Oct 30 12:48:58 PDT 2009

Oleg Safiullin wrote:
Bob Armstrong wrote:
  Thanks for all the feedback, guys.   I guess it'll be Charon-AXP NCE :-)

  Did any of you guys who are using that try running DECnet and/or
Multinet/UCX/etc on it?   I notice that the release notes say "WARNING:
Ethernet adapter, which is assigned to CHARON, must not be used by
third-party programs."   Does "third party programs" include the host Linux
OS and can I interpret that as meaning that you need a separate, dedicated,
Ethernet card for the Charon-AXP?   Everything else looks pretty
straightforward...

Thanks again,
Bob

I think the reason for using dedicated NIC is very simple: it's used in non-promiscuous mode and all the changes
to mac address/mcast filters made by guest system affect physical NIC and may conflict with host OS.

Also, if you want to talk IP, you get into problems with the host, which also talks IP on the same NIC. Confusion easily follows...