[HECnet] Modest proposal: Media library - Distributed?

Andrew Back andy at smokebelch.org
Mon Sep 21 15:44:05 PDT 2009

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and tips etc regarding disk drives -
it is most helpful and very much appreciated!

Regards,

Andrew

On (23:48 18/09/09), gerry77 at mail.com wrote:
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:39:03 +0100, you wrote:

I too have hardware in waiting - a growing collection. And if anybody is
able to help I have:

- A VAXstation 2000 in need of an RD53/54 and a KVM cable (mono)

I would like to point out that since about 1999 it is possible to use a SCSI
disk even in VAXstation 2000s, thanks to a patch that transforms the awful
almost-SCSI tape interface into a fully working SCSI disk interface! :)

The kit is made up of a patch for the console ROM plus patches for the SCSI
port driver for OpenVMS (PK2KDRVR.EXE) and other system images.

Look here: http://users.bart.nl/users/pb0aia/vax/vs-scsi.html
and here: http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/vms/pk2k/

And if someone is not willing or not able to patch ROMs, there is also a boot
image that can be loaded via MOP or tape to start a SCSI boot from disk.

HTH, :)
G.

--
Andrew Back