[HECnet] Modest proposal: Media library - Distributed?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Sep 21 13:38:20 PDT 2009

Kari Uusim  ki wrote:
Paul Koning wrote:
Excerpt of message (sent 18 September 2009) by Kari Uusim  ki:
Andrew, have you tried other ST506 disks than RD53 or RD54? IIRC none of the RD disks were DEC built disks, but relabeled ones from other vendors.

That's true, but I think at least in some cases (and, perhaps, on some
systems, like a Pro) they required non-standard jumper configurations.
Also possibly low level formatting, which might require tools that
aren't easily available.

            paul
Yes, low level formatting might be needed. If my memory serves me right, both VS2000 and the RQDX* have a low level formatting utility in the ROM.
I have to check that out.

The VS2000 have low level formatting routines in the firmware, the RQDX* don't.
Also, you can low level format a disk several ways, which all will work, but will produce different performance numbers for the disk.
The VS2000 formats the disk in a way that is optimal for the VS2000. It also works in a RQDX3 after that, but not optimally. This has to do with track skew and track interleave.