[HECnet] Modest proposal: Media library - Distributed?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Sep 21 13:30:41 PDT 2009

Brian Hechinger wrote:
On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 10:07:21AM +0100, Sampsa Laine wrote:

That could work but like you said needs quite a bit of designing to   work well - I would suggest that for now we maybe set up mirrors like   FTP sites do, i.e. complete copies on more than one host, this way the   bandwidth load is at least shared.

Does anyone have any objection to a private bittorrent tracker?   It would
help with the centralized management/searching/etc and if more than one
person has space to keep stuff it helps everyone overall with download
speeds.

Just a thought. :)

Speaking as someone who don't keep up with all the latest trends, do bittorrent work with something shared on DECnet?
Apart from that, I don't have a problem with people setting up things, and sharing, as long as you try to keep it to legal stuff only. VMS stuff in general would appear to be ok, since you need a separate license key to run it, and the distributions as such are pretty much free.
PDP-11 software is more difficult. I try to keep the stuff that is free around on MIM::, but I don't have a very good system for it right now...
(I also try to keep it up to date on ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/pdp11/rsx, and I think I have it in better order there)