[HECnet] Modest proposal: Media library

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Sep 17 17:58:51 PDT 2009

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Sampsa Laine wrote:

I thought it might be useful to set up a library of VMS media kits (and maybe RSX / RSTS etc as well) - basically images of VMS install CDs, layered products etc, all in one convenient location.

I'm willing to donate some space on RHESUS for this use, say 100 GB?

I've got a copy of the VAX and Alpha software product libraries lying around as well as a couple of versions of VMS for Alpha and VAX as well as IA64 - any contributions would be welcome of course.

Anyone else interested in this?

There are problems with doing this, especially for the PDP-11.   At the same
time, HECnet is fairly private, decidedly hobbyist, and I think Christine
might be the only one with non-DEC hardware connected (I plan to get ZEUS,
my Linux system, back online on new hardware one of these days).

I have been meaning to add some more disk space to PDXVAX and put the
contents of the VAX/VMS Hobbyist V1 CD back online.   I for one would find it
useful to also have DECUS software repositories on HECnet.     I had the V1 CD
online when PDXVAX was first connected, but then switched from multiple 4GB
7200RPM drives in a BA350 shelf to a single 2GB 5400RPM drive in a BA353 to
cut down on the noise and heat.   The BA353 is dead, and noise is no longer
an issue, heat during the summer will be a problem, though in the winter it
will be an advantage.

Zane