[HECnet] Bringing Email In-House

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Thu Aug 5 16:44:45 PDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 11:36:13AM -0400, Steve Davidson wrote:
standard email clients but would also like to be able to ssh into a
local box and read mail via a character terminal.

I use a variety of OS platforms to provide email availability and I have found
that either NetBSD or Linux is the easiest to deal with and since you already
have Linux that would be the direction I would suggest.

As much as I'd love to run a mail server on VMS, I would have to agree with Steve
on this one.

As to accessing mail from a terminal vi ssh, I do exactly that myself.   What I have
been doing is I run mutt locally on the mail server, but I've configured it to use
IMAP to access the mail server.   It has worked very well.

-brian
--
"Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta
tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of