[HECnet] Apples MAC OS X pcap library...

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Feb 16 02:54:21 PST 2010

Hi.

Jean-Yves Bernier wrote:
At 12:48 AM +0100 2/16/10, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Hi, Jean. Looks like we could have some fun... ;-)
I'm sure we can.
[sniffing DECNET packets]
That is only as to be expected, and you cannot draw any conclusions from that.
Except I have to buy a managed switch if I want to join HECNET. NETGEAR has
a small, inexpensive 5-port Gigabit with port mirorring, the GS105E, and I
like their little blue boxes.

Uh? Why?

Let me put it this way:
Machine A talks TCP/IP, and runs bridge. It has one ethernet connection
to a switch.
Machine B talks DECnet. It has one connection to the switch.
Machine C is your router/firewall/whatever, that talks to the outside
world. It also have a connection on the switch.

When a packets is sent from machine B it goes to the switch. The switch
either sees a broadcast packet, and forwards it to all ports, or a
packet for a specific MAC address, and forwards it to the port of
machine A. The bridge program on machine A receives the packet, and
sents it via UDP to another bridge. Done. All works as expected.

When a packet is received by machine A by the bridge from another place,
the bridge program then injects the ethernet packet on the local
network. The switch sees the packet from machine A, with a mac source
address which is actually the address of whatever DECnet machine that
*really* originated the packet. The switch stores this address for
future use, and forwards the packet to machine B, assuming that was the
destination of it.
All works as expected.

After a while, the switch will have a whole bunch of DECnet machines
that it thinks are all located on the same port as machine A. All is
good, because from the switches point of view, this is correct.

More editors would always be fun.
That was one of the first programs I've written for the PDP-11, before EDT
existed, to get rid of those pesky line editors. I miss it because it could
handle more than 24 lines. We had a full-page VT with 60 or so lines i
can't remember the brand, and that was a real delight compared to the
TV100s.

Facit Twist? I think it ran as 24x80 or 72x80.

I have found 3 portable EDT clones on the Internet, see bottom of page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDT_(text_editor)

No need for EDT clones when you have EDT... :-)

One of them is written in pre-ANSI C (func(a, b) int a, b;) but the best
candidate to porting is written with ANSI prototypes. I have the old DECUS
C, invoked by C.. with the proto thing (CN.PRO). Although the proto refers
to a 'std' flag, pretending to "force the input to conform to ANSI C draft
standard", this doesn't work. I've tried with your version this afternoon
(XCC on MIME) with a same result.

Oh well... :-)
By the way, there is also a ANSI C compiler on MIM... Just invoke with CC.

I'm trying to use Linux's deprotoize tool to pre-process the source.
If you have 1/2" tapes you want read, I can do that.
I have a 11/70 with a TU81 ready for such occasions. :-)
A REAL TU81?   I can't believe it... Perhaps you can save my tapes.

No problema. We also have a TU77 and a TU78. But for those I need to
connect and fix things up.

Here is my regretted 11/60: http://www2.pescadoo.net/pdp/11-60.jpg with
dual RK07, home-build A/D and D/A, 2 RP storing (imagine that) 20 minutes
of stereo sound each, well before the Compact Disc. It has been donated to
a school, which could never power it up, lacking a tri-phase power supply.

The 11/60 don't need 3-phase. I used to play extensively with an 11/60
25 years ago. Ahhh... Memories...
I still have an extra set of CPU boards for an 11/60 lying around.

I was assuming matapes were a safe backup. I learned that paper was better,
as the only piece of software which survived is the listing of a terminal
driver.

:-)