[HECnet] Apples MAC OS X pcap library...

Jean-Yves Bernier bernier at pescadoo.net
Tue Feb 16 00:07:23 PST 2010

At 12:48 AM +0100 2/16/10, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Hi, Jean. Looks like we could have some fun... ;-)

I'm sure we can.

[sniffing DECNET packets]

That is only as to be expected, and you cannot draw any conclusions from that.

Except I have to buy a managed switch if I want to join HECNET. NETGEAR has
a small, inexpensive 5-port Gigabit with port mirorring, the GS105E, and I
like their little blue boxes.

More editors would always be fun.

That was one of the first programs I've written for the PDP-11, before EDT
existed, to get rid of those pesky line editors. I miss it because it could
handle more than 24 lines. We had a full-page VT with 60 or so lines i
can't remember the brand, and that was a real delight compared to the
TV100s.

I have found 3 portable EDT clones on the Internet, see bottom of page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDT_(text_editor)

One of them is written in pre-ANSI C (func(a, b) int a, b;) but the best
candidate to porting is written with ANSI prototypes. I have the old DECUS
C, invoked by C.. with the proto thing (CN.PRO). Although the proto refers
to a 'std' flag, pretending to "force the input to conform to ANSI C draft
standard", this doesn't work. I've tried with your version this afternoon
(XCC on MIME) with a same result.

I'm trying to use Linux's deprotoize tool to pre-process the source.

If you have 1/2" tapes you want read, I can do that.
I have a 11/70 with a TU81 ready for such occasions. :-)

A REAL TU81?   I can't believe it... Perhaps you can save my tapes.

Here is my regretted 11/60: http://www2.pescadoo.net/pdp/11-60.jpg with
dual RK07, home-build A/D and D/A, 2 RP storing (imagine that) 20 minutes
of stereo sound each, well before the Compact Disc. It has been donated to
a school, which could never power it up, lacking a tri-phase power supply.

I was assuming matapes were a safe backup. I learned that paper was better,
as the only piece of software which survived is the listing of a terminal
driver.

--
Jean-Yves Bernier