[HECnet] Recycled projects, communications methods, snow

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 20:52:40 PST 2010

Hello!
This list seems to be quiet today, so here goes.
Basically I've recycled a project. In this case its to construct a
something to talk to DEC designed ports. It turns out that after
making my way last night through Google and the NetBSD Vax port
listings, I have discovered that the MMJ connectors are still active.
Two places are selling the tools to make cables, one firm local to me,
is still selling the connectors, and one firm is still selling the
Ideal Tool designed crimping device. And indeed links for them came
from the list.

Now the irony, the manufacturer behind the gadget I am interested, has
renamed itself, according to Wikipedia, and has a badly designed
website. The manual for it was found from someplace else via Google.

The manual for it also confirms something that both this list, and
that the NetBSD list have long surmised, that the MMJ pinouts are for
RS-423 connections. The adapters we use for RS-232 connectors on our
PCs for acting as hosts obviously do the translation.

And as it happens snow finally came to my area, and shutdown for the
day the schools in NYC.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com