[HECnet] TAP, SIMH and Solaris

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Thu Jul 29 20:36:34 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 09:08:45PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Ok. So you need a nat-ed "virtual" network, with two interfaces. One for
the Solaris box, and one for the simh. And your Solaris system needs to
nat and route traffic to this virtual network.

Exactly.

I'm not sure if Solaris supports that or not, but perhaps someone else
knows. I haven't played with Solaris in 10 years, so I'm way too rusty
to say anything more specific here. If I had plenty of time, and a
Solaris machine to experiment on, I might be able to do this, but time
and a machine to crash is not something I have around here. :-)

It's changed a bit in the last 10 years as well. :-D

But in theory, it's not that tricky. You need to know how to do NAT
under Solaris, and you need to know how to set up a virtual network (be
that with some external program, or if Solaris can bridge interfaces
together).

Yeah, which is what I'm attempting to do.   I've got two TAP interfaces
bridged together.   One SIMH talkes to, the other Solaris has an IP on.

Can't ping back and forth, however. :(

-brian
--
"Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta
tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of