[HECnet] Attaching to hecnet

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Jun 28 20:03:05 PDT 2010

H Vlems wrote:
What I meant with the phase III-IV-V answer is that direct connectivity
between a phase V and phase III system won't work. But poor man's routing
will work with a phase IV node in between. Functionality of course is
limited by the phase III host :-)

I wonder if phase III to phase V neccesarily will not work. However, DEC never guaranteed that it will work, nor did they ever try it.

But you're absolutely right that very few people will have a phase III
system, RT-11 being the most likely candidate?

Probably. Or if someone is running some old versions of other systems.

I've seen the bridge program, but am not sure how to make the .conf file
work. Is it possible to use DECnet address 1.1010 to try and make this work?

Yes. 1.1010 is not used by anyone, so that node number would be ok to use to test.
But you also need to talk with me (or someone else) with the bridge running, to act as the remote end.

	Johnny

Hans