[HECnet] Attaching to hecnet

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Jun 28 19:59:00 PDT 2010

Kari Uusim  ki wrote:
On 28.6.2010 12:02, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Hi.

Someone else pointed out that although DEC claimed that alphas could not
be area routers, that information is incorrect, and you can just tell an
Alpha VMS phase IV node to be an area router, if you want to.

However, DECnet+ is phase V, and all bets are off. :-)
There was some versions of DECnet-plus for Alpha which didn't support area routing, but modern versions do.

I believe the official word was that Alpha VMS didn't support phase IV area routing, period.

And yes, not only are the NCL commands more difficult to remember
(atleast for me), the node name management is way more difficult as
well. Do anyone know how you copy a nodename database from another
machine with DECnet+?
If the DECdns is not used, the local namespace (=nodename database) from one node can be exported to a file and the file transferred to another node and then the namespace is imported with decnet_register, which is the utility used for managing the local namespace.

So how do you do that from a phase IV node? I mean, sure, I can output the result of "SHOW KNOWN NODES" to a file. Can a phase V node import that text file?

Two questions:
1-May I use area 44?

Sure.
May I use the area 16?