[HECnet] LAT question

Steve Davidson davidson at declab.net
Tue Jun 22 22:02:39 PDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 07:50:05AM +0100, Mark Wickens wrote:
I've been talking to Steve Davidson and it crossed my mind that if we
use multinet to connect we won't need a separate unix box as we wouldn't
require Johnny's bridge. Is that correct? Might be worth going through
the motions if you have time, (a) to get the process documented and (b)
to provide a good fallback strategy if option 1 using the bridge to
connect through to you doesn't work.

I know this wasn't meant for the list, but I had some questions anyway. :-D

I've got a new colo server in place which means I could actually run simh on
my colo box (which would be a good machine for a "hub" of some kind) and I
was wondering about the multinet thing myself.   I can't get simh its own IP
address, so I would need to do port forwarding to get this to work.   Is that
possible?   Does the multinet tunneling stuff work over static ports or does it
use dynamic ports?

Also, I would want to setup the bridge as well.   Are there any direction on
setting the bridge program up to talk directly to simh?

Thanks!

-brian
--
"Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta
tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of

As Fred has said port 700 is all yo need to deal with Multinet.   The bridge
allows you to configure whatever port you need.

Here I run a VS3900 on SIMH on NetBSD as well as the bridge all on one lowly
little P3-667Mhz.   I am running a VS4000/VLC with Multinet.   The Multinet
box can deal with dynamic IP addresses at the other end, in fact it does so
automatically so it has become noise.

If you need specifics, contact me offline and we can go from there.

-Steve