[HECnet] VCF UK

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Tue Jun 22 08:12:11 PDT 2010

I did my bit promoting hecnet at the VCF. There are some pictures here:

http://amibay.com/showthread.php?t=7165

If you look carefully you should be able to spot the DIGITAL logo and
hecnet info in one of the images - I'm the one looking pensive at the
thought of being filmed ;)

For the most part the show was dedicated to gaming computers and the BBC
Model B which spanned gaming and education in the UK. One of the stands
had Spectrums modified to communicate over the internet - they were
using a microvax 3100 running openbsd to serve up firmware to the
spectrums (afaik).

Not sure how much interest will be generated long term, but there were a
few people who'd heard of hecnet and a few who said they'd like to get a
machine up and running on it.

The BBC programme 'Click' is due to air on 2nd July and will have a
segment about VCF UK.

Regards, Mark