[HECnet] DECnet Area Router question

Steve Davidson davidson at declab.net
Sat Jun 5 00:36:13 PDT 2010

This works GREAT as well.   STRGTE is a P3, 667MHz running NetBSD/SIMH and the
VS3900 ka655x.bin.

-Steve

You can always run SIMH of course of another box...

Sampsa

On 4 Jun 2010, at 23:40, Mark Wickens wrote:

On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 15:29 -0700, Zane H. Healy wrote:
Am I remembering correctly that in order to have a DECnet Phase IV
area
router you need to be running a VAX?

Can Phase V act as an area router?

I'm contemplating figuring out what Alpha has the lowest power
requirements,
and bringing it online in place of MONK (a very power hungry XP1000
with
plenty of external drives).

Then again a VAX would probably pull even less.   Believe it or not,
the
"killer app" that I'm having a hard time living without is DEC
Document.

Zane

My power consumption page might help a bit:
http://lakesdev.blogspot.com/2008/09/power-consumption-of-computers-and.html

The VAXstation 4000/VLC takes the lowest power but at about 6 VUPS
it is
quite slow. The 4000/60 and 4000/90 (BUBBLE) take about 100 Watts,
which
is twice as much, but are *so* much more usable.

In terms of alpha, the lowest power I've found so far is the
Alphaserver
300 4/266 (TIGER) which clocks at about 100 watts. The Alphaserver
1000A
runs at about 180 watts which is pretty good given the expansion
possibilities (it has a BA356 8 drive enclosure built in).

I'm currently running a BUBBLE and TIGER 24/7 which is a VAX and Alpha
node for 200 watts total.

Mark.