[HECnet] hecnet.eu

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Mon May 31 21:19:56 PDT 2010

On 31 May 2010, at 21:14, Angela Kahealani wrote:

a bit of client site charting to produce a network diagram.

That would be really nice.

I thought of automating this (I'm currently developing a HECnet node info database system, mainly as a learning exercise for Python and Oracle RDB) by having some entries in a database table, namely WAN links and LANs.

Basically, a WAN link entry would indicate two end points (either bridge or MULTINET) whilst nodes are allocated membership in a LAN - from these two sets of data it would be possible to draw up a basic network diagram.

Of course this would entail either some kind of crawler to populate the database or someone to manually keep this info up to date.

Sampsa