[HECnet] hecnet.eu website down

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Tue Oct 5 22:59:49 PDT 2010

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know that we had a circuit breaker trip here today and when I restarted the VAXstation 4000/90 the Seagate ST39173N system disk no longer spins up. The controller recognises the drive, and an LED on the drive circuit board flashes once on power up and when it is queried by the SCSI controller, but at no point does the drive spin up.

Does anyone have any tips? I thought I had a duplicate drive I could try swapping the controller board with, but I've yet to locate it. It might be stuck heads, but given the circumstances it is more likely to be something that has gone bang.

This box hasn't been backed up in a while. I may have a working version of the website on a backup, but there will be a few features missing if the restore works.

In the meantime the website will be down.

Oh and also, if you haven't done that backup in a while, NOW IS THE TIME TO DO IT!!!

Regards,

Mark.