[HECnet] Out of action more or less until the 25th...

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 20:40:44 PDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> wrote:
The last hotel had like 14-20 mbps, I think they must've had fibre or
something. Who the fuck buys a T1 anyway?
Get some DSL lines, a load balancing router and bob = uncle. This is not
rocket surgery.
Anyway, I think what largely happened in the US-sucks-at-internet case is
the first-to-move-inertia: "OK, we got something new a cool, look it works".
This was ok in 1996. Not so good now.
And don't give me the crap about geographical / demographics (like the
telcos do), I can get an ADSL2+ line (which depending on length of copper
can drop to like 2 megs, but should be at least 4)   in Lapland, 100 megs in
the major towns. And 7 meg 3G almost everywhere, including weird middle of
forest places in Finland.
Universal internet access has been declared a human right by the European
Parliament, so the telcos are getting a bit stressed....:)
The US govt method of dealing with telcos is wrong: you dont GIVE them money
to build shit, you threaten to pull their license if they dont do universal
service / build shit by date X. Of course, then the telco lobbyist would
give the money to someone else.*
Sampsa

* Don't get me started on how I think the lobbyist system is killing
democracy and the little guy. At least when I visit the Middle East, they're
honest about bribes - but there's no democracy and n one gives a shit about
the little guy.