[HECnet] DECnet performance problems (on TOPS-10)

gerry77 at mail.com gerry77 at mail.com
Wed Aug 31 14:05:46 PDT 2011

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:58:53 +0200, you wrote:

On PDP:s (RSX11-Mplus) and VAX/VMS, C-TERM (eg. SET HOST) is usually
sort of "sluggy".

Oh well, it depends! :) Usually our DECnet connections are very smooth, at
least between VMS nodes; VAX, Alpha and Itanium, no matter which VMS
version. In Italy we say that it glides (so well that) it seems greasy. :P

LAT (eg SET TERM/LAT) is a protocol developed to cope with terminals
character by character communication at first hand!

I don't know if LAT is available to your 10-system, though, but if it
is, use that for terminal traffic as far as possible.

Yes, LAT is available, but I have other problems with it. As soon as I'll be
able to tackle it, I'll try also that path. TOPS-10 is a though "game"...

Besides, what version of VMS, on what hardware? I've heard birds singing
of problems combining modern VMS-DECnet with older implementations in
other machines...

By now I have tried VMS 7.2 on VAX and 8.3 on Alpha. Now I'm waiting to try
VMS 4.7 on the same Ethernet segment as the TOPS-10 node, then I will report
on results! :)

Thanks,
G.