[HECnet] ROOSTA routing problem

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 07:51:50 PST 2011

On 26 Dec 2011, at 15:38, Bob Armstrong wrote:

Well, your node name database appears to be out of date (copy the new one
from MIM), but that's just a peripheral issue.   It doesn't bother anyone but
you, so if you don't care then don't worry about it.

I updated it anyway, like I said it takes me a minute to telnet in and
rattle off the MCR NCP command :)

The main point is that ROOSTA can't use area 6 unless it's connected (via
Multinet presumably) to STAR69.   Whether ROOSTA is an area router or not
doesn't change this.   You and Chrissie will need to work that out.

I assumed (perhaps stupidly) that as long as Chrissie's machines are bridged
onto HECnet somewhere using Johnny's bridge, they'd find STAR69 and their
area routing. IF ROOSTA is a real DEC boxen then this might get more complex.

As for if ROOSTA is an Area router, then nothing would be needed at my end,
Chrissie would only need a bridge into HECnet somewhere using a bridge. That's
not going to need my involvement as she would have everything she needed to
communicate with HECnet without me.

I have a shell and simh script to start up LEGATO, although at the moment
it's not automatic if the host Linux box reboots.   I'd be glad to share the
scripts, although they're trivial and probably would need to be modified for
your use anyway.

I have a one-shot script that builds my tap0, bridge0, then boots simh-vax
and gets the emulator to the sim> prompt (I prefer no to completely automate
the process in case I have to intervene for some reason).

Actually what I'd really like is to have my Linux box automatically start
the simh on an alternate console window.   Any Upstart experts out there??

I can't do that because I use SSH for everything native on the box and I
don't know how to access an alternate TTY from an SSH terminal in NetBSD.
I use screen instead - it suffices for headless booting but just don't try
using it for EDT or the like ;)

Again, I'm sorry if me dicking about caused any issues, but I'm having fun
over here :D

I don't think you caused any problems, but you've got to help fix this one
:-)

I just wondered if me pulling STAR69 down con-incided with that problem, it was
about the right timing.

Keep having fun.

Oh I am :)

--