[HECnet] ROOSTA routing problem

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 07:29:19 PST 2011

On 26 Dec 2011, at 14:58, Bob Armstrong wrote:

  b) Connect ROOSTA to HECnet via STAR69.   Drop the LEGATO link (as
you said, it's pointless).

c) Have ROOSTA continue to be an area router, and make sure ROOSTA have a
link to STAR69, and then any other areas we care to.

This isn't really any different than "b", is it?   The point is still that
ROOSTA can't be in area 6 unless it's connected to STAR69.

STAR69 is my machine, if there is an issue with the node database it's my fault.
Someone could have e-mailed and asked me to update the node DB on it, it takes
less than a minute :\

STAR69 also went down briefly this afternoon. You may have suffered a loss of
area routing on Area 6 as a result. I apologise, I'd have avoided it if at all
possible but it's my only remaining BSD machine and I needed to pull my PDP-11
emulator files off the BSD disk out of COWBOX's host machine that died.

If there is no harm in having 2 Area Routers I strongly recommend Chrissie has
one too as for the moment I can't rely on STAR69:: being up 100% of the time. It
doesn't auto-restart after a power outage and also the VAX emulator is hand booted
so even if I remember to turn it on I might forget to VAX-boot. Similarly,
although my LINUX box (HP Microserver) is self-rebooting the bridge is also hand
initialised.

So basically if I have a power outage at any time you will likely lose everything
on my circuit for 12 hours... or until I remember it's off which last time was a
couple of weeks :\

Again, I'm sorry if me dicking about caused any issues, but I'm having fun over
here :D

--

Mark Benson

http://DECtec.info