[HECnet] LEGATO now connected to MIM

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Dec 26 05:07:38 PST 2011

On 2011-12-26 10.07, Peter Lothberg wrote:
    I've kept all the Multinet circuits that I had before, and I don't mind
continuing to carry them, although several of them now represent redundant
paths.

Redundancy is good... (as long as managing it cases less network
stability...)

Indeed.

    Speaking of which, does DECnet have anything equivalent to the tracert
program ??

..long lines.. So it querries the NML objects to figure out the
topology, and some nodes, like Mim, don't respond.   DECnet don't have
TTL expire control messages.

Do you know which task/object NETPTH tries to talk to? Obviously MIM don't have one running, but depending on what, it might be something that I just have not set up. Is NML the object? What is NML?

Otherwise, it should be possible to write something similar on your own, using NICE. For each hop, check what the next hop is for the destination. Should actually be more accurate than traceroute in IP, which don't really neccesarily give the truth, but just what happened for a bunch of packets sent before, all of which might not even have traveled the same path themself.