[HECnet] Multinet Tunnel Links defined

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Wed Dec 21 19:30:02 PST 2011

Johnny,

I'll have to look up which documentation - I do not have it in front of
me at the moment.   I personally use my own area to deal with this
because I am way past having to need the documents.

I have written a DCL procedure that does IP address lookups at
predetermined (configurable) intervals.   If it finds a mismatched IP
address it reconfigures the the TCP-0-n (where "n" is the area - in my
case) IP address and schedules a reboot.   It takes SG1:: ~3 minutes to
come back.   I had to do this because Multinet (like the bridge) does not
support dynamic addressing.   Area 33 is running with a dynamic-DNS
address.   It just works and has for well over a year.   It also sends
email to those who need to know that a change in address has occurred.
This can help Sampsa and Bob (two other connections that MISER::FRED
has) to notify them that they must reconfigure the entry for area 33.
Initially we used it to give MISER::FRED information to take to his ISP
that would detail just how often he would have to deal with new
addresses.   Fred could probably provide more info on this.   The email
also contains a report that provides some details that could be useful.
It has sure helped Fred and myself deal with "dynamic" changes! :-)

-Steve