[HECnet] Multinet Tunnel Links defined

Bob Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Wed Dec 21 19:22:07 PST 2011

If I remember correctly, LEGATO is the same platform for the exact purpose.

  It used to be.   I believe the VLC is the lowest power VAX ever made (and
I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong :-), but including one SCSI hard
disk it still uses 60-70W.   It's not much, but running 24x7 it adds up.

  LEGATO is now a simh emulation on an eBox-3300.   It's about as fast as the
VLC, and uses 5W.   Yes, five watts, and that includes the CF card that
serves as the emulated VAX disk drive.

  It makes me feel like I'm cheating somehow, not running a real VAX, but
the power difference is hard to ignore.

Bob