[HECnet] DECnet et al

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 20:05:45 PDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
On 2011-07-17 20.59, Peter Lothberg wrote:

When did DECNET first appear?

   Mid-1970s, depending on which version ("Phase") you consider to be
"DECnet".   I'm sure someone will provide a more specific date.

using what means to connect each system.

   Point to point serial (note that doesn't mean RS-232!) links (rarely
parallel) using various means for the actual physical connection.

   DECnet definitely predates Ethernet by many years, if that's your
point.

Bob

ANF10!

DISCO DUCK
DISCO FEVER

(wasn't there a third one?)

:-)

ANF10 is a fond memory... Do I remember right that it was based on PDP-8
machines acting as connection points? Did they talk serial lines between
each other?

           Johnny

Hello!
If that's the case, then how would these machines communicate over
longer distances? For that matter, before Ethernet, and even the
current methods of fast connections we have now, would all of you
believe that we did use either dial-up on leased lines?

Mentioned in Cliff Stoll's book, "Cuckoo's Egg" is how his university
was connected to the Internet.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com