[HECnet] DECnet et al

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Jul 17 20:01:29 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-17 20.59, Peter Lothberg wrote:
When did DECNET first appear?

    Mid-1970s, depending on which version ("Phase") you consider to be
"DECnet".   I'm sure someone will provide a more specific date.

using what means to connect each system.

    Point to point serial (note that doesn't mean RS-232!) links (rarely
parallel) using various means for the actual physical connection.

    DECnet definitely predates Ethernet by many years, if that's your point.

Bob

ANF10!

DISCO DUCK
DISCO FEVER

(wasn't there a third one?)

:-)

ANF10 is a fond memory... Do I remember right that it was based on PDP-8 machines acting as connection points? Did they talk serial lines between each other?