[HECnet] DECnet et al

hvlems at zonnet.nl hvlems at zonnet.nl
Sun Jul 17 18:37:28 PDT 2011

It's the return path I'm worried about.

Say your area has just endnodes. My area has at least one L1 router up and running. How does a node in my area return the traffic since its router won't have a path towards your area. If mu area contains an L2 router then I think it will return an error like "destination area unreachable".

So, yes Johnny's bridge program makes HECnet behave like we're running DECnet (and LAT) on a large flat LAN. But the rules must observed by all: either we're running routers or neither of us do.
At least that's how I read Paul's messages.
Hans