[HECnet] DECnet et al

Bob Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Sun Jul 17 18:24:20 PDT 2011

Bob, endnodes in different areas can only talk to each other
if there's no router present. So your scheme only works if
all of us shut down all our L1 and L2 routers.

  We don't have to shut down all the routers on HECnet, right?   Just
shutting down the router for my area (or the area of anyone else who cares
about the issue) would be sufficient.

Once an endnode sees a router in its area ...

  Exactly...   If there are no routers in the end node's area, then
communications is direct.   Routers for other areas are moot.

Bob