[HECnet] DECnet et al

hvlems at zonnet.nl hvlems at zonnet.nl
Sat Jul 16 18:18:10 PDT 2011

The Montagar licenses include all the DECnet licenses. There is no reason to limit yourself (today) to endnode functionality. SHOW NETWORK(/OLD) gives useful information.

I'm not sure what the router rules are. There are 63 areas, each with one actove area router. There may be more routers configured as an area router in one area; the one with the highest (?) DECnet address is selected as the active one.
There are limits on the number of routers. There are counters in NCP, executer max circuits and exec maximum routers.
On first generation VAX systems routing overhead was deemed too high. IMO this may be the case with 11/750's and slower but a MicroVAX II could easily keep up with the traffic on a LAN with more than 1100 decnet hosts in 8 areas.
Hans
Verzonden vanaf mijn draadloze BlackBerry  -toestel