[HECnet] DECnet et al

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Sat Jul 16 16:23:46 PDT 2011

Mark,      When I install DECnet on VMS I always use the DNVETRTG license.   This way I do not have to care about the system's role - I may change it at will      On another note, the node SGC:: is an emulated system that is always running as an area router.   This way I always have a gateway to the rest of HECnet and the cost to run the system is minimal.   DECnet has limits as to the total number of area routers so just adding a router may not be the best answer.   The HECnet backbone is not at that limit yet...   If you were to use an emulated system as a router then it would not matter which of the other systems you brought up - they would all be able to see the rest of HECnet.      I should mention though that a cluster with a cluster alias MUST be a router.   It can be a level-1 or level-2 (area) though...      -Steve