[HECnet] VMS on zx6000 - argh?

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 10:13:29 PDT 2011

On 08/07/11 09:34, Mark Benson wrote:
Something else I've noticed is it's REALLY picky about keyboards and KVMs. I currently have it hooked up to to a Compaq KVM via a Belkin PS/2 to USB adapter and that seems to work okay. It starts up fine and booted into Debian and such okay (although Xorg didn't work but I blame that squarely on Xorg mis-detecting graphics card).

I hooked it up to my DVI/USB KVM and it freaked out on boot stopping and listing a couple of trap exceptions. It won't even get into EFI. I don't have a console hooked to the serial so I dunno if it's just disabling the video console due to the lack of keyboard (not detected or faulting) and falling back to serial - a lot of workstations do that. Unplug the USB and it POSTs fine and loads the book menu so I somewhat suspect it's not.

I also tried an Apple USB keyboard (I know I shouldn't let Apple stuff near real computers :P) and it did the same freaking out during POST thing.

anyone know why this is - is it just picky or am I missing a trick somewhere.

Woha!

I dunno, I got to sleep for a few hours and all this activity happens, close to my heart ;)

RE: keyboards, yeah, those trap exceptions sure are helpful messages. WTF!

It was the first problem I had with my ZX6000, and it would have convinced me the machine was a dudd, had it not been for a single post on t'internet about the keyboard being wrong.

I bought a bog-standard HP keyboard after that, which works fine, and I also ended up getting an LK464, which is nice ;)

Not tried with KVMs, but am 100% sure that milage will vary considerably.

Mark.